In this scene Katniss volunteers to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, so that her sister wouldn’t have to compete and risk dying. In today’s society, it can be hard to remember to put others before oneself. We’re all so focused on our own life from our classes, to friends, to favorite TV show that we forget to think about the lives of others. It’s important to remember though that to truly love someone is to put them first both in your heart and through your actions.
- If you were in Katniss’ position would you have volunteered? Why or why not?
- Though none of us have been forced to volunteer for the Hunger Games, we can still show our family how much we care. What are ways that we can love our family by putting them before ourselves?
- What does Katniss’ willingness to volunteer for her sister tell you about her character and values? Do you share any of these values?
- Why do people tend to put themselves before others? How can we show people the importance of putting others first?
- What are three ways that you put others before yourself in everyday life? What are three new ways that you can put others before yourself?